Thursday, September 5, 2013

A tale as old as time...

Hello my darlings! This week I've been reading books for school. Can I just tell you how much I absolutely love required reading?! NOT!!! At one point this week I swear I was Charlie Brown from Peanuts and my teacher was going Wawawhwhwaaa! 


And then he had to pick on me and ask for my thoughts! I mumbled out some incomprehensible reply when all I really want to say is, "I have no idea who I am or what's going on! I'm scared and I want to go home!" hahah Anyway to take a break from all the textbooks I retreated into a story that I will forever love! Beauty and the Beast! How magical is that story?! Seriously...a bookworm who falls in love with a man for his heart and not his looks! LOVE IT! So I picked all of the retellings of Beauty and the Beast that I love to share with all of you today! Just in case you need to escape from poetry loving professors! 

#1 Beauty by Robin McKinley

This book is a classic with a bit of a twist! Beauty has never liked her nickname. She is thin and awkward; it is her two sisters who are the beautiful ones. But what she lacks in looks, she can perhaps make up for in courage. When her father comes home with the tale of an enchanted castle in the forest and the terrible promise he had to make to the Beast who lives there, Beauty knows she must go to the castle, a prisoner of her own free will. Her father protests that he will not let her go, but she answers, "Cannot a Beast be tamed?" Full of enchantment and...well...beauty! :D 










#2 Beastly by Alex Flinn


I am a monster. You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell. Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly. This Beauty and the Beast retelling is very unique in the fact that it is told from the story of the "Beast" but also has a modern day twist to it!








#3 Belle by Cameron Dokey


Cameron Dokey is an EXCELLENT storyteller! If you are looking for a quick read this is the one for you! Belle is convinced she has the wrong name, as she lacks her sisters' awe-inspiring beauty. So she withdraws from society, devoting her time to wood carving. Secretly, Belle longs to find the fabled Heartwood Tree. If carved by the right hands, the Heartwood will reveal the face of one's true love. During a fierce storm, Belle's father stumbles upon the mysterious Heartwood -- and encounters a terrifying and lonely Beast. Now Belle must carve the Heartwood to save her father, and learn to see not with the eyes of her mind, but with the eyes of her heart.









#4 Beauty and the Beast by Jenni James


This one is quick and sweet! A prince by day and a wolf by night—Prince Alexander has been turned into a werewolf and has one year to find someone to love the beast and break the spell, or he will be a wolf forever. He has nearly given up achieving the impossible, knowing no girl would ever fall in love with such a monster. Just when he is about to abdicate the throne to his cousin, he meets Cecelia Hammerstein-Smythe, while a wolf, and begins to hope for the first time in months. Cecelia detests the prince. She only knows Alexander as the arrogant monarch—the tyrant who has made her life miserable—though perhaps he's changed right before her eyes. He's not as full of himself as he once was. The prince is gentle now... but then again, so is the beast.








#5 The Whispered Kiss by Marcia Lynn McClure

In Bostchelan, Coquette knew happiness, and as much contentment as a young woman whose heart had been broken years before could know. Thus, Coquette dwelt in gladness until the day her father, Antoine de Bellamont, returned from his travels with an astonishing tale to tell. At the center of Antoine's story loomed a man-the dark Lord of Roanan. Known for his cruel nature, heartlessness, and tendency to violence, the Lord of Roanan had accused Antoine de Bellamont of wrong doing and demanded recompense. Antoine had promised recompense would be paid-with the hand of his youngest daughter in marriage. Coquette is delivered into the hands of the dark and mysterious Lord of Roanan and finds that maybe even the heartless deserve to be loved. I saved my favorite for last! This is one of those books that if you start it at night you should be prepared for a book hangover the next day because you will stay up and HAVE to finish it! There is definitely more kissing in this one then all of the above that I have suggested but it is still a clean read! :D 





There you have it! Now go and enjoy a good book! Kisses! 


No comments:

Post a Comment