Thursday, July 11, 2013

60 Books in 6 days! Bring it!

I've been thinking of some fun things that I could post on here that you would all like and find fun! I finally came up with a challenge that I'm excited about and I hope you like too! The idea came to me when I was with my friends and we were remembering all of the books that we loved as kids. Here's what I think though-kids books are just as much for adults as they are for children! Age is a mental thing. I am going to post my Top 60 Childrens' Book choices here! These are books that I love! It's my personal list! Ten books everyday for the next six days...and on the seventh day...I'll rest! This was EXTREMELY hard for me because I love kids books! LOVE THEM!!! I buy them and I'm single! My future children will be swimming in kids books! I couldn't put them in any particular order...because I love them all so much! This was also hard because I tried really hard to avoid Christmas books because I want to make that list later! What can you do! So many books...so little time!

So without further ado...ERIKA'S 60/6 Challenge DAY #1!!!!!

1. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom


The 26 characters in this rhythmic, rhyming baby book are a lowercase alphabet with attitude. "A told b, and b told c, 'I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree'"--which probably seemed like a good idea until the other 23 members of the gang decided to follow suit. First the coconuts fall off, then ("Chicka chicka... BOOM! BOOM!") all the letters also end up in a big heap underneath. Then it goes on to introduce the helping hands of the 26 uppercase "mamas and papas and uncles and aunts." This was on of my absolute favorites as a kid! I listened to it along with a cassette tape! (Yes...a cassette tape! I loved my tape player! It was ghetto awesome because it had a red microphone that came with it!)

2. I Like Myself! 

This book is the ultimate ode to self-esteem encourages kids to appreciate everything about themselves--inside and out. Messy hair? Beaver breath? So what! Here's a little girl who knows what really matters. At once silly and serious, rhyming text and wild illustrations unite in a book that is sassy, soulful--and straight from the heart. The illustrations are hilarious and the message is timeless! LOVE YOURSELF!!!

3. Oh, The Places You'll Go

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” Dr. Seuss once again schools us in the way life should be! It's the journey...not the destination! One of my all time favorite Dr. Seuss books! 

4. Guess How Much I Love You



"Guess how much I love you," says Little Nutbrown Hare. Little Nutbrown Hare shows his daddy how much he loves him: as wide as he can reach and as far as he can hop. But Big Nutbrown Hare, who can reach farther and hop higher, loves him back just as much. Well then Little Nutbrown Hare loves him right up to the moon, but that's just halfway to Big Nutbrown Hare's love for him. I've decided from this book that we need to say I love you more! You, dear reader, I love you THIS MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

5. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything

0nce upon a time, there was a little old lady who was not afraid of anything! But one autumn night, while walking in the woods, the little old lady heard . . . CLOMP, CLOMP, SHAKE, SHAKE, CLAP, CLAP. And the little old lady who was not afraid of anything had the scare of her life! Is this potentially a Halloween book? Yeah. Probably. BUT I love how it uses rhymes to build up the suspense of this little old lady running through the woods! Clever!

6. Skippyjon Jones

Skippyjon Jones has an active imagination. What happens when a Siamese cat thinks he is a Chihuahua? He causes so mayhem! As a result of some bad behavior, he is sent to his room. Having a time-out, he resorts to his imagination. Taking on the superhero persona of the great Spanish sword fighter Skippito, he has the adventure of his life, and readers are invited along. Zany, wild, and over-the-top, this utterly original book truly begs to be read aloud. This book is HILARIOUS!! You will love Skippyjon! 

7. Tikki Tikki Tembo

A Chinese folktale about two boys. The oldest son is named Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo and the second son is named Chang. When Tikki falls in the well, Chang has to run and find help but he struggles to say his brother's whole name because he's out of breath! A great tale on why Chinese children now have short names! ;) 

8. Owen

Owen had a fuzzy yellow blanket. "Fuzzy goes where I go," said Owen. But Mrs. Tweezers disagreed. She thought Owen was too old for a blanket. Owen disagreed. No matter what Mrs. Tweezers came up with, Blanket Fairies or vinegar, Owen had the answer. But when school started, Owen't mother knew just what to do, and everyone -- Owen, Fuzzy, and even Mrs. Tweezers -- was happy. I still absolutely love this story! I had a yellow blanket! I am an Owen! :) 

9. Interrupting Chicken

It’s time for the little red chicken’s bedtime story —and a reminder from Papa to try not to interrupt. But the chicken can’t help herself! Whether the tale is HANSEL AND GRETEL or LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD or even CHICKEN LITTLE, she jumps into the story to save its hapless characters from doing some dangerous or silly thing. Now it’s the little red chicken’s turn to tell a story, but will her yawning papa make it to the end without his own kind of interrupting? Little Chicken is so funny! His inputs on classic stories will make you laugh! 

10. Time for Bed

“It’s time for bed, little cat, little cat / So snuggle in tight, that’s right, like that.” Even the most reluctant snoozers will find themselves lulled by the repetitive rhythms, as the parent sheep, cat, snake, and fish implore their babies to get some shuteye: “It’s time for bed, little sheep, little sheep, / The whole wide world is going to sleep.” This book is the ultimate lullaby! The illustrations in it are GORGEOUS and the rhymes are soothing and lovely! This is a great bedtime book! 

SO...there you have it! Day one of my challenge! So far so good! See you tomorrow for 10 through 20! Here's to day two!!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment