Friday, August 30, 2013

The power of being quiet...

I just finished this book and it's very different then what I normally recommend to you! It's the winner of the Goodreads 2012 reader's choice awards. That means many people liked it! :D It's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain-


Did you know that at least one-third of the people we know are introverts? They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society--from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer. Susan Cain did a whole bunch of research for this book! she offers invaluable advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert." This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how introverts see themselves. 

I found Quiet fascinating! Truly Susan Cain dove into her research! She dove into the world of introverts and a bit into extroverts in a way that is relatable and awesome. I felt as though I needed to read this. I took one of the tests that the author suggests and got the results of being 58% introverted while also relying a lot on the emotions and feeling of others around me. I wasn't shocked by these results. Sometimes I have found myself having a battle against myself because I would rather stay home instead of go to parties. I like to curl up and read a book instead of going to a sports game. I tend to squirm when a teacher uses the phrase, "We're going to get into groups now!" Small talk in a large group isn't number one on my list. Get me in a small group however and I am absolutely fine! I feel extremely charged and in my element when things around me aren't so chaotic. Bookstores are like my heaven! Susan Cain helps introverts understand that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. We have been raised in an extroverted nation ever since books like How to Win Friends and Influence People became a social norm in our society in the early 1900's. (Susan talks about this history in her book). She goes in depth on different famous people who were introverts such as: Rosa Parks, Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Dr. Seuss. I loved how she talked about how sometimes introverts have to fake it till they make it. In other words, sometimes introverts have to put on a cloak of courage for awhile and attempt things that will most likely make them squirm a bit! I understand this concept when I have to speak publicly. She talked about the importance of finding quiet and how we as a society need to embrace our quiet people because often they are the peace keepers and the inventors. All in all a FANTASTIC read if you would like to learn more about society and our need to dazzle or reflect! :)

Susan Cain also gave one of my all time favorite TED talks! Super fascinating! I was watching it while cleaning my kitchen and found that my roommate was even drawn in to her talk! STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT! :D "Solitude matters!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment