Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Whole New Cinderella and Little Red...

doesn't the phrase just give you a little shiver of anticipation? It seems to say, "You're in for a good story!" I love fairy tales. There's magic and conflict and romance. I think I can confidently say that most of us like them because they've been around a LONG time! I've read a lot of fairy tale retellings! I can sing every song from the musical Into the Woods. "Agony!!!" ;) I'm even a huge fan of the TV show Once Upon a Time! Probably because the hunter (Graham) looks like this-

and has an accent! And hello Prince Charming-


And for the first time ever we are even calling Captain Hook a hottie! Who would have ever thought that would happen!



After looking at these pictures I forgot what I'm writing about...oh yeah! Fairy tales...I'm confident the men of the world can live up to the image! (BHAHAHAHAHA) I digress. So when I heard about a hot new fairy tale series written by Marissa Meyer of course I had to look into it! I just wasn't prepared for what I was getting into! :) The series is called the Lunar Chronicle series. The first book in the series is-



So what's so new and interesting about this series? Well let me tell ya! It was such a different and unique take on the Cinderella story. Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, hated by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. 

Cinderella is a cyborg-there's more than one villian-it takes place after world war 4-there is also a nasty plague! See very inventive! I guess my only complaint is that I felt like the story just cut off with no warning! Imagine Cinderella losing her shoe and the prince finding it and then the story just ending! I'd be like "Cool. Cinderella is still in her sad life and the prince has a random shoe for his collection." So huzzah for being insanely unique and GRRR for ticking me off and leaving me standing on the steps of the palace with nothing but a shoe...or in this case a cyborg foot....

So while I was standing on the steps of the palace with the prince holding Cinder's limb I was delighted to find book number two!



I actually liked Scarlet more than I liked Cinder! It's always nice when books get increasingly better! That doesn't always happen in a series! In this book we meet Scarlet who is desperately looking for her missing grandmother. She meets a mysterious fighter named Wolf. When she discovers that his tattoo is similar to the tattoo on the men that took her dear grannie, Scarlet enlists his help in finding her. But can a handsome wolf be trusted? The story of Cinder was left with that horrible cliffhanger so happily that story is also picked back up in this book. Cinder is on a mission to also find Scarlet's grandmother in hopes that she can shed some light on Cinder's mysterious past. So in this book we have a gang called the Wolves. We have a mysterious and charming Wolf. The war between worlds is getting increasingly more hostile. I was about halfway through the book when I had the thought of Marissa Meyer being an evil genius! It was fresh and original. But alas I do have one complaint! Once again I am left with a stupid cliffhanger! I don't believe in cliffhangers! Just go ahead and push me off the cliff! So I did my research! Book three will be out in February...in 2014 (insert eye roll) and this is what I could find-

Rapunzel's tower is a satellite. She can't let down her hair - or her guard. This book will feature Cinder and Rapunzel and will take place in the Sahara Desert.

That's all I could find out about it! Content wise and reading level wise I'd say age 13+ will like this series! So I will have to patiently wait for book three.
Dear Marissa-please remember-


Sincerely,
Still waiting for a happily ever after!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment