Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ender's Game


Aliens...stun guns....lasers....zero gravity....star ships...ladies and gentlemen this can only mean one thing....Science fiction! I finally did it! I finally read Ender's Game! I think that this book has been in my to-be-read pile since I was in the eighth grade and some boy in my class gave a book report on it! I will admit that the reason that I didn't pick it up before now is because I always classified it as a boys book! Yes, apparently I can be slightly sexist when it comes to books! I finally decided to give it a try when I saw the movie trailer of Ender's Game. I feel like I have to read the book before I see the movie so it was now or never! I can now happily tell you that I was wrong! This was a freakin' sweet book! Orson Scott Card was actually quite brilliant considering the time period that he was writing this book. To imagine something in the 70's that can still hold up in today's technological world is nothing short of amazing! So here's the main outline of the story-
In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is drafted into a futuristic military school after his older brother and sister are rejected by the program. Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister.
I think what was really cool about this book was not only all of the futuristic fighting in zero gravity but the psychology behind children soldiers. It has a bit of a Hunger Games feel to it. Ender experiences a lot of different adult emotions for being only 8 to 10 years old the entire book. It was interesting to watch him try and fight his own game when he was a chess piece in so many other games throughout the book! So mainly if you are feeling like you'd like some mind blowing sci-fi in your life right now I would suggest you get this off your TBR pile and get it read! :) So now the question is-are you going to read the book or are you going to see the movie or both? And let's just sit and ponder which will be better! Here's the link to the trailer


It's got Harrison Ford in it so I'm game! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment